Find the shortest route between my house and all my neighbors
To perform effectively as a software application developer, one must be acquainted with various facets of application development. To test the skills of application developers, Superior Consulting Services (SCS) offers a series of technical coding challenges designed to challenge and educate application developers. This blog addresses problem solving and algorithm development, and presents SCS’ thirty seventh (37th) challenge: Find the Shortest Route between My House between my house and all my Neighbors.
Let’s get ready to rumble
Each SCS challenge will require the user to solve a problem. All questions are designed to be solvable by mid-level application developers in one hour or less. The 37rd challenge is shown below.
Challenge #37 involves creating a function and an algorithm (e.g. FindMinimumPath() ) that will calculate the minimum distance between a start / end point and a series of mid points.
A person wants to leave his home and visit his neighbors who live a fixed distance from him. He wants to visit all his neighbors, and take the shortest total path. Given a specific start point and end point (his home), and a list of mid points (his neighbors) find the shortest route.
For example, one possible route is Start to 1, 1→2, 2→ 3, 3→7, 7→6, 6→9, 9→4, 4→5, 5→8, 8→End.
- Problem is 2 dimensional, only consider X and Y dimensions.
- No requirement to handle curvature of the earth effects.
- Define a function and algorithm (through a code sample) that will find the shortest route from a start / end point through a series of mid points.
- Any programming language may be used as long as it correctly finds the shortest route.
- Function that correctly finds the shortest distance in the fastest amount of processing time will be the winner.
- Contestant challenge submittals should be emailed to email@example.com, Subject Line SCS Coding Challenge #37.
- Reponses to Challenge #37 should be received by 5:00 pm CDT, March 31st, 2018.
- In the event of a tie between two or more winning solutions, the first solution received will receive the prize; however, all submitters with good solutions will be recognized.
- Employees of SCS are not eligible to participate in the coding challenge.
The best solution submitted will receive an Amazon.com gift certificate worth $25.00 (U.S. dollars) and have the winning solution, along with the winner’s name, on the SCS website: www.teamscs.com.